March 17, 2010

The Blind Side

I just watched "The Blind Side." Great movie! One of those that makes your whole heart soar. Of course, everyone already knew that. I was so impressed by the strength of character in the mom. And somewhat in the dad too. I was expecting to be. But do you know what impressed me the most? The reaction her two kids showed to Michael moving in. Talk about good parenting. I believe the normal response would be to complain, to be embarrassed, etc. There was none of that. It was obvious that her children were well-versed in caring for others. In being selfless. My goodness do I want to instill such values in the children Nathan and I have someday. I think those values are two of the most absent in our society today. Too many parents cater to every whim of their children, only encouraging their egocentricity. There is no room left for children OR parents to think about anyone else. We remain in our own houses, worrying about our own problems, all the while ignoring the entire world around us and teaching all who follow after to do the same. I am not in support of the government taking care of people. God gave people the task of taking care of people. When we ignore the command of loving our neighbor, which does not mean just waving at them when pulling into the driveway, we are ignoring the heart of our Savior, Jesus Christ. We are placing ourselves first, not last. I am not saying Nathan and I do a great job of this all the time. I am saying that people like the family in the movie remind me of what my priorities should be. Sacrificing for others. All of the time. It is what is pleasing in the sight of God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment